Tomorrow is the big day! Tomorrow marks the official 100th birthday of the National Park Service and to encourage everyone to celebrate all 412 national parks are free to visit for the next four days (August 25-28).
I think that the best way to join in the celebration tomorrow is to go have an experience! The idea behind the #findyourpark movement is that we connect with our state parks, local parks, trails, nature preserves, historic sites, community gardens, museums, and all of our natural spaces. So take a few moments tomorrow to join in the celebration by getting outdoors to celebrate the history, the culture, and the adventure of seeing and exploring the natural world.
Short on time and stumped on where to go? Here are a few random ideas I thought might help you think about and plan for your #findyourpark moment tomorrow:
- Rise early and watch the sunrise
- Play in your backyard
- Explore a community garden
- Dip your toes in a lake, pond, or stream
- Go outside and walk, run, swim, meditate, bike, or [fill in the blank]
- Climb a tree
- Lay in the grass and look up at the sky
- Have a lunch or dinner picnic on a bench or table near you
- Find a spot to watch the sunset
- Sleep outside